1) The chocolate chip cookie is the official state cookie of both Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.
2) The chocolate chip cookie was invented by Ruth Graves Wakefield in 1930 at the Toll House Inn Restaurant in Massachusetts.One of her favorite recipes was for Butter Drop Do cookies. The recipe called for the use of baker’s chocolate and one day Ruth found herself without the needed ingredient. She substituted a semi-sweet chocolate bar cut up into bits. However, unlike the baker’s chocolate the chopped up chocolate bar did not melt completely, the small pieces only softened, thus creating the first known chocolate chip cookie.
3) Americans consume over 2 billion cookies a year, or 300 cookies for each person annually.
4) The Chocolate Chip is the most popular type of home-baked cookie.
5) Chocolate Chip cookies are Cookie Monster’s favorite. His birthday is November 2nd and his original name was Sid.
6) America has designated April 30th as National Oatmeal Cookie Day!
Upper West Side 167 West 74th St. New York, NY 10023 • T: 212-874-6080 • F: 212-874-6413 • Hours: Mon-Sat 8am-7pm, Sun 9am-7pm Harlem 2167 Frederick Douglass Boulevard • New York, NY, 10026 • T: 646-455-0952 • Hours: Mon-Sat 8am-7pm, Sun 9am-7pm Hamptons Wainscott Village Shopping Center 354 Montauk Hwy • Wainscott, NY 11975 • T: 631-537-8570 • F: 631-537-8572 • Open seasonally Order toll free 1-877-4Levain (1-877-453-8246) or by fax